Thursday, January 12, 2006

Different duties

Well work today was certainly different. If you don’t already know, I'm employed at my local Woolworths as a Night-Filler. This generally entails working at (you guessed it) night filling the shelves for the next day. I have been working in this position for the last nine weeks and only really have experience in this area of work. Last night however, I got a call asking if I could work today from 8am to 6pm in perishables, which is pretty much all the cold stock minus the deli stocks. This came as a surprise to me as I have had no training in the area yet was chosen to work this shift.

Firstly, the fact that I had to work during the day was a bit different to usual since I usually get to sleep in during the mornings when I work nightfill. Secondly, working perishables meant that I’d be working in and around lower temperatures for most of the day which is a bit different to filling the stock in all the aisles. This however was the fun part of the job. Working in the freezer at -30 degrees C and in the fridge at -4 degrees C was really cosy since I have a tendency to sweat a lot, and the low temperatures helped to keep me cool. Having the skills from nightfill made the job today a bit less daunting than what I was expecting, and in the end I had quite a fun time. I wouldn’t mind working this position again in the future.

No comments: