Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Changing the look of Windows

I'm currently using StyleXP on my PC to change the theme of Windows from the standard few that come with it. I’ve been pretty satisfied with this for quite some time, but today I though I might try to enhance the visual layout of my PC even further. I remember hearing of a program called LiteStep, so today I decided to download it and check it out. Essentially what this program does is replace the explorer shell in windows which manages your taskbar, start menu and dialogue boxes. You can get an idea of what it does by looking at a screenshot here.

After messing around with it for a bit, I must say that it certainly makes working around your desktop and some parts of windows a bit different. During most of the time I was using it, it kinda of felt like I was using Linux. I guess this is something that one can get used to and enjoy it, but unfortunately, I have been stuck with Windows for so long and I have grown used to the traditional Windows layout. I think I’m going to stick with StyleXP only as that lets me keep my taskbar and start menu. If you are a Windows user and like to have a different look to the standard, LiteStep is a nice program to try out. Just be ready to see Windows in a different way.

No comments: