After a short shipping delay, I finally got my Windows Mobile 5 upgrade disc for my PDA. Overall, I would say that Windows Mobile 5 is a definite improvement over Windows Mobile 2003. The entire interface appears to be more responsive to your actions, though there are times when it has a minor delay and has to catch up on some actions if you do things too quickly. The entire system has had a slight cosmetic upgrade, nothing over-the-top though; good improvements in my opinion. The sounds have had a slight change too. The clicks and beeps are no longer electronic beeps similar to that of a piezo-electric buzzer, but more of Windows like sounds. The sounds kind of remind me of the day of the Cassiopeia and other devices running on Windows CE.
The one handed operation appears to be useful, though I haven’t really had a moment when I have found it to be an advantage over the traditional method of usage. Hopefully once uni starts again, I may find a good use for this feature. One thing I’m disappointed about however is the time it takes to do a simple soft reset. As WM5 now utilised the built-in flash memory (ROM) instead of the RAM to store all the system files, the system needs to reload the files from the ROM to the RAM when a soft reset is performed. As the ROM has a slower speed than the RAM by nature, this causes the system to take a bit more time to reset. Overall, I think that upgrading my PDA was worth the $30 that it cost me.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment