Friday, September 30, 2005

Transparency AA for the X800

Through my usual browsing of the internet, I came across this interesting article:

ATI's Radeon X800 series can do Transparency AA too

From the article:

    While we were expecting ATI's upcoming R520 GPU to have some form of Transparency Anti-Aliasing, we didn't expect it to come before then on the products derrived from R420.However, the bright sparks over at Beyond3D forums seem to have cracked the code in order to get what ATI are calling Adaptive Anti-Aliasing working on the current generation of Radeon X800 series video cards with the recently released Catalyst 5.9 display driver.The feature needs to be unlocked via a registry hack and can result in some quite outstanding improvements in image quality. You can read about how to enable the hack here.
Being an owner of an X800 series card (GeCube Radeon X800XL), it would be of no surprise that I would want to try this out. As I am typing this, I’m currently downloading the Catalyst 5.9 driver over my wonderful 1.5mbps connection which is now capped at 64kbps due to excessive downloads, so it’s going to be a short while before I can test it out. I’ll keep you updated on the results together with my opinion on how Godskitchen – Worldwide 2005 was in my next post.

No comments: