Thursday, September 15, 2005

Flash memory put to more use

So it looks like we are getting closer to replacing the traditional hard drive:

BitMicro rolls out 155 Gig solid-state flash drive

From the article:

    BitMicro introduced its new 3.5-inch Ultra320 SCSI solid-state drive using Flash memory. The ruggedized 155 GByte drive called the E-Disk made its debut at a military expo in London and can read/write data much more quickly than a traditional magnetic drive. Currently available to large corporations and governments, the new drive will not find its way to consumer hands anytime soon (unless you have truckloads of extra cash).
I wouldn’t mind one as a replacement for my current hard drive. I will then be able to get that one step closer to a silent PC; until I upgrade to a more powerful CPU and then require more cooling.

In relation to my previous post, I have run across a more detailed page at Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows which gives a pretty good break down of each edition of Windows Vista. You can read all about it here.

No comments: