Thursday, May 18, 2006

Feedback

I checked my email this morning after the gym and found this comment waiting in my inbox:

    mike said...
    Dude,

    I red your profile thing, are you sure you want to be an IT guy? In America we call them nerds, unless our computers break or our networks are down.

    May The Force Be With You,

    Mike
The quick answer to that question is yes. Now the longer answer… I wouldn’t actually call myself a nerd; I would call myself a geek. A quick search of Wikipedia gives this answer which is pretty much the standard definition you will find:

    The word "nerd" refers to a person of "above-average intelligence" whose interests (often in science and mathematics) are not shared by mainstream society. By contrast, a "geek" is essentially a person who is fascinated, perhaps obsessively, by obscure or very specific areas of knowledge and imagination. [Wikipedia, 2006]
I take pride in being a geek; an electronics geek to be more specific. As for how I feel about how other people view me… it doesn’t bother me at all. It’s what interests me and if I can earn a living from it, then that’s the way I’m heading. Thanks for the Star Wars comment there too. It’s good to see how you have already stereotyped me. Just to let you know, I have only seen two Star Wars movies and I didn’t really like them overall.

No comments: