Friday, April 07, 2006
Not on the level
That was a bit of a disappointment. Today I went in for my quarterly blood donation together with Alex whom I got to start donating six months ago. Today would have been my eighth donation; that is if I was allowed to donate. It turns out, that my haemoglobin level (127g/L) was below the accepted level of 130g/L for whole blood donors. The normal haemoglobin range for men is 125-185g/L so my level was still considered to be normal, but considering that it is at the lower end of the scale and that my usual level is around 140-147g/L when I have donated in the past, something isn’t quite right. My diet hasn’t changed much over the past year or two and my exercise levels are around about the same so I am a bit puzzled about this one. Regardless, the Australian Red Cross Blood Service has sent off a sample of my blood for testing and will get back to me soon regarding their findings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Might want to try eating more iron.. an extra serving of red meat or two a week wont hurt.
Your diet might not have changed, but your metabolism of vitamins and nutrients might have changed due to many factors, including stress or exercise and just general lifestyle changes you mightn't be aware of...
Post a Comment