Monday, September 01, 2008

LOL this and LMFAO that

In the midst of all my browsing and communicating, I came across a trend with the younger generations which has annoyed me a little for quite some time, but only really thought of recently. It all reminds me of something I heard while watching Californication. So to quote Hank Moody (David Duchovny):
"Just the fact that people seem to be getting dumber and dumber. You know, I mean we have all this amazing technology and yet computers have turned into basically into four figure wank machines. The internet was supposed to set us free, democratize us; but all it's really given us is Howard Dean's aborted candidacy and 24 hour a day access to kiddie porn. You know people, they don't write anymore, they blog. Instead of talking they text. No punctuation, no grammar. LOL this and LMFAO that. It just seems to me that it's just a bunch of stupid people pseudo-communicating with a bunch of other stupid people in a proto language that resembles more what cave men used to speak rather than the King's English."
It may seem a little harsh and a bit of a generalisation, but I must admit that this is true to an extent. It just isn't the same when you try to talk to people and they end up communicating back fashion that resembles text messaging. On a phone, I could understand since you have limited space, but is typing on a keyboard really that difficult that you need to type SMS style? I type with four fingers and even then it isn't difficult. It really seems to be killing the English language.

No comments: