Sunday, January 06, 2008

A brief summary

Well I promised a post later in the week and depending on what you consider to be the start of your week, I may or may not have fulfilled that promise. Either way, here I am now writing up that entry that I said I would. To get things out of the way first though, yesterday Alex and I headed down to Willowbank to Nightfire Top Fuel Spectacular. After raining for the past week and a bit, it was great to have a bit of a break just in time for the races. It was a hot and humid day however, but this did not take away the fun of the day. At the end of this post I have included a video of the Top Fuel Dragster final between Aaron Lynch and Phil Read. If you have never been to a Top Fuel event, the video doesn't really capture what it felt like to be there. If you have been to one before, you would understand what I am talking about.

So now I'll rewind a little bit to December the 4th 2007. I am going to be rather brief about this holiday since I chose to keep a diary of my holiday with pen and paper and unfortunately it was a one off piece of work. After writing that diary, it feels extremely difficult to write any more about the holiday. I was originally planning on scanning the contents of it and uploading it, but as I was writing it, I got a bit carried away and started to write it on a more personal note. If you would like to get a bit of an idea of the trip through my eyes, I have uploaded all the photos of the holiday to my MySpace. Yeah I know you need an account to access them, but it was the most convenient way for me to upload them for free.

If I was to describe my holiday in one word, I guess the best word to use would be 'alright'. I say that because I went on this holiday with my Dad. Now if that alone doesn't explain why, then let me just say that the age difference was just a bit too much of a barrier. I would have rather gone on my own, but since he was offering the trip out of his own kindness, him coming along was part of the deal. Let's just say that if I was given that opportunity again, I will have to definitely say no. The entire holiday was just one long roller coaster ride. When not focusing on the bad side of the trip, the whole two weeks were actually quite enjoyable. It was a good break away from home and I did have a fun time nevertheless.

Thanks to the Japan Rail Pass, we were able to travel around Japan for a reasonable cost. Unfortunately though, it was only a 7 day pass since a 14 day pass would have cost too much. Nights 1 to 6 were spent in Osaka, night 7 was spent in Nagoya, night 8 in Mt. Fuji, nights 9 to 12 in Tokyo, and night 13 and 14 back in Osaka... with night 15 in a seat of a Jetstar Airbus A330-200. In addition to traveling to our major destinations for accommodation listed previously, we were also able to travel to make a day trip to Hiroshima on day 7 and Kakunodate on day 11. Excluding all the JR trains taken to travel around each destination, the Shinkansen fares alone came to around 81000 yen (approx. AUD$843). Considering the rail pass only cost 28300 yen (approx. AUD$294), the savings were quite massive. If you are ever traveling to Japan and plan on moving around a lot, the Japan Rail Pass is a must.

Not really much else to the holiday really; it was just a lot of traveling around combined with a lot of sightseeing and a lot of walking. One good thing about the length of the holiday was that at the end of the two weeks, I felt alright to return back home. The two week mark left enough time to fit in all the sightseeing that I wanted to do without seeming too long or too short. It was a great break from everything back here at home and I would love to do it again some other time... just somewhere different... and without my Dad.

When I returned to Brisbane, it struck me that it was only six days until Christmas and I still had some shopping to get done. Luckily I managed to get a majority of it completed while in Japan, but I still had other presents to buy. The Christmas period in 2007 wasn't as busy as it was in 2006 though which was quite a relief. I managed to get all my Christmas shopping completed by December 22 without any hassles. The following week was quite a relaxed week, mostly just being spent at home with the occasional outing with friends or by myself to keep myself entertained.

New Years Eve 2007 flew by fairly quickly and I'll leave it at that; and New Years Day 2008 was quite an interesting day, which I will leave it at that as well. The following days were also spent like the days following Christmas, though this time around I found myself getting out of the house a bit more. I firstly had to get a birthday present for my Mum, who's birthday is today... HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUM... and had to fix up some odds and ends here and there. I also noticed a bit of pain when I was eating my lunch on Thursday, so I felt around with my tongue and felt something quite odd on my lower right molar. When I got home I looked in the mirror and found that I was missing a corner of it. I heade down the road and booked in with the dentist who was luckily available the following morning.

I was kind of dreading this trip to the dentist since it had been about three years since I had last been to one. So the following day, I got the grilling of him that I expected, got my tooth repaired and was told to get an x-ray done so that he can assess my teeth a bit better. I have to see him again on the 30th of January after which he will go over what needs to be done. While I had nothing to do on Friday, I decided to scoot down to JB HiFi at Indooroopilly to see if they had, or could order in, a copy of Candice Alley's new self titled album. Unfortunately, neither option could be satisfied, however he did say that the Brisbane City store was reporting two copies in stock, with only one other JB store in Australia having the last copy.

I quickly and eagerly headed into the city store, and after a good few minutes, I found the one and only copy that they had. I felt really good that I now had a hard copy of her new album, and quite possibly the last copy in Queensland. I was quite satisfied.

To complete my day, I headed into the city with my mates to watch '2 Days in Paris' at the Dendy on George Street. It was actually quite a good movie and a great way to end the day. That day then came to an end which then brings us to Saturday, which was explained at the beginning of this post, and today which is just a quite day at home for now, which is why I'm here finally typing up this entry. So all that kinda sums up everything that has been going on. It was quite brief, but like I said, I've written a majority of it once before and can't really take on the challenge of doing it again.

January 5th Night Fire - Willowbank

No comments: