Saturday, July 21, 2007

Spare time

So it has been nearly five days since I shut down my "always on" laptop, and attempt to remove computers from my everyday life. So far, things have been going great. For those of you wondering what is going on, I'll give a quick rundown on the situation.

Ever since I got my first computer, I've been using it quite regularly to do things such as surf the net and chat to people over MSN. Then I got a broadband connection and things got even worse. Thanks to sites such as YouTube, peer-to-peer programs such as eMule, and a whole world of torrents, I had managed to waste even more time on unnecessary crap. Then earlier this year, I managed to get hooked onto MySpace, and boy that was a mistake.

So in a typical day, I would be finding myself on my computer whenever I was at home with nothing to do. I would waste countless hours a week on MySpace, chatting on MSN, and aimlessly surfing the net. So the other day, for no reason in particular, I decided it would be a good idea to just stop using my computer altogether. With the exception of using compuuters at TAFE for educational purposes, I believe that I will no longer need a computer for anything else. If it wasn't for the fact that I worked so hard to purchase my computer (a Dell XPS M1210), I would consider selling it so I could completely get rid of it.

It has felt quite good spending my free time on other things rather than in front of a computer. With all this extra time for other stuff, I have decided to do something I have never actually done before; read a book. In the past, I have never had the patience to just sit down with a novel and just read. Now that I have some more room to think, I thought it would be a good idea to try it out. To get me started, I decided to pick up the crime novel "Fetish" by Tara Moss. Since I haven't read a book before, I don't really have anything to compare it against, but so far I can say that it is a pretty good read. I'm liking it that much, I even went out and bought her second book "Split" to keep me going once I finish this one.

So that pretty much sums up everything that is going on right now. Since I'm now going to be a bit behind on the online side of things, my blogs are probably going to get that little bit less interesting. But if anything interesting goes on, it's most likely going to be going up here. That's about enough for now. Typing up a long blog entry without a keyboard isn't the easiest task to perform.

No comments: