Monday, March 16, 2009

Music memory

While I was working today listening to music play on the radio in the background, it got me thinking again. It is amazing how the mind works and how it makes memory associations. I'm sure I'm not the only one that this happens to so I will talk about it in a broader sense.

What I find amusing is how you can listen to a song many times again and again and not think too much about it, but then you can hear it again in a different scenario and it will forever be associated to whatever was happening at the time. This could be as simple as a sight that you had seen, a certain part of a movie, a person you had met, or a particular feeling you were experiencing at the time. So next time you will hear that song, you will be taken back in time and reminisce on an event, or feel exactly as you felt at the time you associated the song. The song will never be the same again.

Along that topic, I will recall a few songs and the associations I have for them. It is only a selection of the many, many associations I have made over time:

Lux - Northern Lights : The Citytrain TV commercials shown here in Queensland many years back. I wouldn't have found out this song name if it wasn't for Tamara. This is the song that I heard while working the other day which is what led me to typing this post.

Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World : The movie 'Click' starring Adam Sandler

Gwen Stefani - Cool : As above

Justin Timberlake - Sexy Back : Funny story this one. Alex and I were checking out this girl at the bar with an open back dress. She had a well kept figure and well, she looked great from behind. Anyways, about 2 seconds after we looked at each other and agreed, this song started to play. That was a classic.

Youth Group - Forever Young : The 100% Pure New Zealand commercial.

Linkin Park - What I've Done : The move 'Transformers'.

Paramore - Decode : This song just reminds me of Amy whom I met at GE Money. She was really into Twilight and then I went to her MySpace after she updated her background song with this. Now every time I hear the first few seconds of guitar at the beginning, that's all I can think of.

Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me) : This song reminds me of the end of a 'Futurama' episode titled 'The Luck of the Fryrish'. This song was a very good touch to the ending.

Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round : Roller skating/blading at the Durack Rollerdrome and ice skating at Iceworld Acacia Ridge. There are many other old school tracks that bring back this memory, but this one stands out the most.

Holly Valance - Kiss Kiss : Driving late at night with Candice. Long story that one and probably best not not to go into detail.

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight : The TV series 'Tru Calling'. Full Blown Rose did a remake of this song for the ending of the series and it was great. Now whenever I hear this song by Phil Collins, I think of Full Blown Rose, which then makes me think of Tru Calling.

Ian Van Dahl - Reason : My first Les Mills RPM session at Fitness First in 2004. That was some intense exercise.

Martijn Ten Velden - I Wish U Would : Having dinner at the Black Dog Cafe in Hervey Bay. This was the first night of the road trip to Cairns that Alex and I did at the beginning of 2006. This was playing in the background and I just had to find out what it was.

4 Strings - Take Me Away : The lifestyle show from channel 9 'Getaway'.

Darude - Feel The Beat : This brings back memories of waking up early to watch Video Hits and Rage on TV when I was younger. Come to think of it, maybe the video of this is what started my love of the Dodge Viper.

Destiny's Child - Jumpin', Jumpin' : As funny as it sounds, this was the very first song I downloaded on Napster (those were the days). I couldn't think of any song so I asked my sister what song she wanted. This was the song she chose.

That's about I can think of now off the top of my head. As I've said, there are many more but I would probably only recall them as I hear them in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so true about what you said with songs that you can hear them over and over and it means nothing until you hear it in a different context or setting so it starts to mean something else.

And btw, the tears for fears song remind me of the movie Click everytime i hear it as well.. weird.